Funding Available for Local Residents



Search for Grants & Benefits | Search for Educational Grants | Local Welfare & Educational Grants | Lions & Rotary Clubs | Other Welfare & Educational Grantmakers in Bedfordshire | National Welfare & Educational Grants | Specific Educational Grants | Trusts that help women in education | Trusts that help disabled students | Trusts that help disabled students (amongst other people)

Search for Grants and Benefits


Turn2us is an initiative from Elizabeth Finn Care offering a groundbreaking online service to help the millions of people in need in the UK.

 For the first time, people can access information on all benefits and grants available to them from both statutory and voluntary organisations, at no cost, through turn2us. In many cases, applications for support can be made directly from the website.

Research shows that there is low awareness of the support available from the voluntary sector despite the existence of nearly 800 charities giving help to people in need. Crucially, the people who need the help the most, find it hardest to navigate their way to get the help available to them. turn2us aims to address this wide scale and urgent need. Through turn2us, thousands of people from diverse backgrounds will have access to information that could make a real difference to their lives.


Disability Grants - Your Guide to Grants for the Disabled

Do you have a Disability?

Are you a parent or carer of a Disabled child or adult?

If so, use this website to save time finding Disability Grants.

Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living.

Searching for extra funds takes time - in between work, hospital appointments, caring, therapies........

And the hundred and one other things we all have to juggle every day!

That's why Disability Grants provides information on charities and trusts to help you find a grant for yourself, your family or anyone you are supporting with a disability.

Discover what's available nationally and in your local area by searching the individual sections.

You will need to do some cross referencing as many charities and trusts provide funding in more than one category. Pages are cross referenced and links provided but you do need to think about your individual circumstances.


Search for Educational Grants

Student Cash Point

Student Cash Point is a free website providing information on grants, loans, bursaries, scholarships and awards for students needing help covering the costs of going to college and university. Website:

Uni Grants UK

There is a host of funding opportunities out there for students about to become, or who are currently, undergraduates. Uni Grants have compiled a selection of organisations that offer funding of this nature and detailed the typical grants they offer.


Local Welfare & Educational Grants


Ampthill and Meppershall Educational Foundation

Assistance with funding for further education for persons under 25 years of age in Ampthill and Meppershall. Funding for assistance to enter a profession, trade or calling, otherwise promoting their education (including social or physical training) all having regard to the promotion of education in the principles of the Church of England.

Contact: The St Albans Diocesan Board of Finance, Holywell Lodge, 41 Holywell Hill, St Albans, Herts, AL1 1HE. Tel: 01727 854532

Ampthill Feoffee Charity Estate

Provides and maintains free homes for poor inhabitants of the parish

Contact: Beryl Wood. Tel: 01525 403689

Ampthill Parish Charities

Application forms are usually available from the Ampthill Town Council offices, 66 Dunstable Street, Ampthill for Christmas gifts to Ampthill elderly residents during November each year. If you wish to apply, or know of anyone who does, please collect a form for completion. All applications are treated in strict confidence and must be returned to the Town Council offices by early December. Notification of the availability of grants is usually published in the Around the Pump Newsletter


Clophill United Charities

Grants to individuals, mainly to pensioners and widows in the village.

Contact: Richard Pearson, 8 Little Lane,
Clophill, Bedfordshire, MK45 4BG. Telephone 01525 861110


Maulden Welfare Trust

Small grants to individuals in need.

Contact: Ann Vickers

Tel: 01525 402979

Lions & Rotary Clubs

Lions & Rotary Clubs sometimes make grants to individuals in need.

Local Lions Clubs - raise funds for good causes in their area. Contact:

Ampthill & District Lions Club - E-mail through form on website at: Website: Meets twice a month to discuss and arrange community service, fundraising and social activities

Local Rotary Clubs - raise funds for good causes in their area. Contact:

Rotary Club of Ampthill and District - Website:

Other Welfare & Educational Grantmakers in Bedfordshire 

Kentish's Educational Charity

The information supplied by the Charity states that grants of between £150 to £1,000 are available to young people in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire to assist with expenses incurred in their education. In accordance with the governing document, preference is given to needy young people with the surname Kentish or who are descended from the founder's family.

Grants are not given for postgraduate study. Application forms are available from the Clerk to the Trustees and applications are considered in October/November. This small Trust, which is run by volunteers, was founded in 1712. Because of the limited amount of income, only those applications which meet the criteria will be considered.

Contact: Mrs Margery Roberts, Clerk to the Trustees, 7 Nunnery Stables, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 2AS. Telephone 01727 856626

National Welfare & Educational Grants

Welfare Grants

Elizabeth Finn Care

Elizabeth Finn Care gives money to help people who have less than £4,000 in savings and, lacking enough household income, manage a bare hand-to-mouth existence.

By giving just that little bit more money beyond State Benefit provision, Elizabeth Finn Care enables people to:

  • pay for the things they vitally need
  • take charge of their lives once more, and
  • plan for a future

 We help people whose former careers have been interrupted or ended through circumstances beyond their control: physical or mental illness, redundancy, family breakdown, or those struggling on low income in retirement.


Buttle UK

Buttle UK makes a real difference to the lives of children and young people in need. Each year they help thousands of children, young people and families across the UK with our financial support programmes.

Grant Programmes

Buttle UK was established to ensure that children and young people in desperate need are given a brighter future. They achieve this through a range of grant programmes that are designed to provide vulnerable individual children and families the support they need to overcome immediate crisis or ensure the best possible opportunity for a successful education.

  • Small Grants Programme - Provides essential items for children and young people whose development, health and well-being are at risk. It offers basic items, that we all take for granted but many families in poverty are living without, such as a bed, a cooker, a fridge-freezer or a washing machine. In 2009-2010 Buttle UK made 8,887 awards touching the lives of nearly 20,000 disadvantaged individual children and young people across the UK.
  • School Fees Programme - Transforms the lives of vulnerable children (aged 11 and over) by funding places at schools that provide a safe and supportive environment, often for the first time in their lives. Some children, many because of problems at home, do not thrive in mainstream education, and so fail or drop out of school entirely. Buttle UK enables children with medical, emotional or social difficulties to gain a stable and more supportive secondary education. In 2009-2010 alone Buttle UK enabled 304 children to get a better education at over 150 different schools throughout the UK, many of whom completed their GCSEs and went onto further study or employment.
  • Students & Trainees Programme - Awards financial support to young people (aged 16-20), with severe social problems, particularly those who are estranged from their parents, to attend further education and training. By funding course costs, equipment, field trips or basic day-to-day living costs, Buttle UK relieves the financial pressures and worries that often force these vulnerable young people to abandon their studies early. In 2009-2010 Buttle UK enabled 172 young people to access courses as varied as architecture, music technology, business and tree surgery.
  • Access to the Future Programme - Offers bespoke packages of support for hard to reach young people (aged 18-25) to aid their return to education, employment or training. Working with local partner organisations, our grants are targeted at removing the barriers to learning and work for vulnerable young people as well as funding a range of courses, activities and learning that would otherwise be unavailable. The support may vary from something like the cost of security guard training and licence, to driving lessons, or buying suitable cloths for an interview. Buttle UK aims to provide a complete package designed specifically for each young person that will help them access a better future.


Aid for the Aged in Distress (AFTAID)

Aid for the Aged in Distress (AFTAID) provides grants for older people in need.

Individuals, or their family and neighbours, can apply. Caring professions and voluntary organisations can also make referrals.

 The individual receiving the grant must be:

  •  Of state pensionable age (60 years old for women and 65 for men)
  • A UK citizen, residing in the UK
  • On a lower income and have minimal savings.

Grants are not available for ongoing or retrospective payments or repayment of debts.

Applications must include written support from care professionals aware of the individual's situation, for example a social worker, doctor or similar professional of the official care services working with the individual.

There is an online application form to complete. For more information visit the AFTAID Website

 Contact: AFTAID

Specific Educational Grants

Family Action's Educational Grants

There are a range of educational grants available through Family Action's grants programme. Applicants must be studying at a college or university that is affiliated to EGS (Educational Grants Service).

Grants are primarily targeted at families and individuals with low incomes, particularly those living on benefits. Preference will be give to those studying courses likely to lead to improved employment prospects. Website:

The Prince's Trust Development Awards

The Prince's Trust offers Development Awards to help young people enter education, training or work. The types of items which may be funded include:

  • Tools or equipment for a job or qualification e.g. hairdressing kit, carpentry tools, chefs' white
  • Equipment or travel costs for volunteering or structured work experience
  • Course fees
  • Licence fees e.g. CSCS card (construction) or SIA licence (security)
  • Interview clothes
  • Childcare costs to help single parents complete short-term education courses
  • Transport to and from a new job until first pay day.


Contact: Telephone: 0800 842 842 or Text: "Call Me" to 07983 385 418

Trusts that help students doing specific courses

(including postgraduate courses)

Construction Youth Trust

The trust helps financially disadvantaged young people who face barriers to accessing opportunities in the construction industry.

Funding can help with fees and other costs associated with study, such as travel, specialist equipment and childcare.

 The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London, WC1E 7BT. Tel: 020 7467 9540 Fax: 020 7631 3760



Grace Wyndham Goldie (BBC) Trust Fund

Small grants are made towards the cost of education such, as travelling expenses, books and additions to educational awards. Grants are also made for the relief of hardship not covered by help from other sources. Awards are made to people who are (or have been) engaged in broadcasting television or radio, or an associated activity, as well as their children and dependants. Applications need to be submitted by 31 July for consideration by the Trustees each September.

Broadcasting House, Cardiff CF5 2YQ


The Stationers' Foundation

The Foundation gives grants to UK residents under the age of 25 who wish to enter the printing, stationery or newspaper makers' trade or any allied industry. Awards average £2,000 each. The Foundation also offers prizes and scholarships.

Administrator, The Stationers' Foundation, Stationers' Hall, Ave Maria Lane, London, EC4M 7DD

Tel: 020 7246 0990



Saint Luke's College Foundation

The Foundation offers awards to students for postgraduate studies in the fields of religious education and theology, normally studies leading to a taught or research Master's degree or a PhD. Grants can help with the cost of fees, subsistence, travel, books, research, equipment and study aids such as amanuensis. There is no age limit. Applications can only be made between January and 1st May each year. Funds are limited but the Foundation is keen to hear about and provide for unmet needs in the fields of theology and religious education.

Dr David Benzie, 15 St Maryhaye, Tavistock, Devon PL19 8LR

Tel: 01822 613 143



The Engineers Trust

The Engineers Trust is the charitable trust of the Worshipful Company of Engineers. The charity gives grants and assists in the support of hardship experienced by engineers, particularly whilst in education.

Wax Chandlers Hall, 6 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7AD

Tel: 020 7726 4830



Trusts that help women in education

Funds for Women Graduates - FFWG Charitable Foundation

The FFWG offers Foundation Grants to women on postgraduate courses. For the 2014/15 academic year grants will only be given for postgraduate doctoral awards e.g. PhD or D.Phil. Grants are intended to contribute towards living expenses, not fees, while studying or undertaking research at an approved higher education institution in Great Britain. The student's nationality does not matter and there is no age limit. Grants are offered on a needs basis and the maximum amount is £6,000. FFWG also offers Emergency Grants to graduate women who face an unforeseen financial crisis whilst engaged in study or research. Emergency grants are offered on a needs basis and the maximum amount is £2,500.

The Grants Administrator, Mrs J F Collett-Flatt, 13 Brookfield Avenue, Larkfield, Aylesford, Kent ME20 6RU

Tel: 01732 321 139 Fax: 01732 321 877



Hilda Martindale Educational Trust

The Trust aims to help women who are undertaking vocational courses that will prepare them for a profession or career of use or value to the community. Small one-off grants (less than £1,000) can be used for books, equipment, fees, living expenses, travel or childcare. The closing date for application forms is 1 March for courses starting the following academic year.

The Registry, Royal Holloway University of London

Egham TW20 0EX

Tel: 01784 434 455


Trusts that help disabled students

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK is a national registered charity formed through a unification of Disability Alliance, Radar and National Centre for Independent. We focus on promoting "meaningful" independent living and disabled people's leadership and control. We aim to break the link between disability and poverty and we campaign for disability equality and human rights.

As a charity, our funds are limited and we are therefore unable to give financial assistance to disabled students or those working on their behalf.

If you can't get the money you need to do a course from official or statutory sources, trusts may be able to help you raise the funds. Each trust has its own eligibility criteria, so it's essential you make sure you meet the trust's criteria before you apply. There is no guarantee you'll get a grant from a trust even if you meet their criteria. Grants and awards are made at the discretion of each trust and they usually receive more applications than they can support. Who they help and the amount they give varies considerably.


British Kidney Patient Association

One-off grants to help with the cost of university or college fees where appropriate, or the cost of books, equipment, lodgings or other expenses involved with educational and job opportunities. These grants are given to people with kidney disease of UK nationality. Applications should be submitted by a social worker or medical staff and are considered daily.

3 The Windmills, St Mary's Close, Turk Street, Alton GU34 1EF Tel: 01420 541 424 Fax: 01420 89438



Dyslexia Action Learning Fund 

The Dyslexia Action Learning Fund provides funds to pay for specialist tuition at Dyslexia Action Centres for those with specific learning and literacy difficulties. To find out more about it please contact your nearest centre


Gardner's Trust for the Blind

The trust gives one-off grants to people who are registered visually impaired and live in England or Wales. These grants can be used for assistive technology, course fees and household equipment. Applications can be submitted by the individual or by a third party, but a third party must confirm the visual impairment and that the grant is needed. In the first instance applications should be made by letter, summarising the need, and then a full application form will be sent out. The committee meets four times a year.

Angela Stewart, 117 Charter House Street, London EC1M 6AA

Tel: 020 7253 3757

Joseph Levy Foundation

The fund can give financial assistance to adults with Cystic Fibrosis to develop their career through further or higher education or professional qualifications. Note: The Foundation is not currently accepting unsolicited applications, but you are advised to check their website for any changes to the fund's policy

1 Bell Street, London NW1 5BY

Tel: 020 7616 1200



The Matthew Trust

One-off grants for people with mental health conditions. Examples of support include; providing equipment, helping with second chance learning and skills training and, in special circumstances, helping with debt support. Applications should only be made through professionals such as keyworkers, mental health social workers, psychiatrists or community practice nurses. All other sources of funding, statutory and voluntary, must be tried and a care programme must be established before applying.

PO Box 604, London SW6 3AG

Tel: 020 7736 5976 Fax: 020 7731 6961



Multiple Sclerosis Society

The MS Society can give grants for people with MS if there is no other official funding available. They can help with adaptations to accommodation, wheelchairs and other specialised equipment. Awards can also be used towards course fees, books and educational trips within the UK. To find out more about financial assistance from the MS Society, contact your local branch or the grants team at the MS Society's national office in London.

The Grants Team, MS National Centre, 372 Edgware Road, Cricklewood, London NW2 6ND

Tel: 020 8438 0700 Fax: 020 8438 0701



National Association for Colitis and Crohn's Disease (NACC)

The NACC offers grants of up to £500 to people between 16 and 25 years old with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). To receive funding you must have additional support needs relating to your full or part-time education as a direct result of your IBD. Funding is available for books and course material, tuition fees, additional cost of university or college en suite accommodation, travel passes and computer hardware and software. Grants are usually paid direct to the university or supplier.

Personal Grants Fund Secretary, PO Box 334, St Albans, Herts AL1 2WA

Tel: 0800 011 4701 or 01727 759654



Snowdon Trust

The scheme primarily helps physically disabled students and sensory impaired students in further or higher education or those training towards employment. Bursaries are made for one or two years and do not normally exceed £2,500. Awards are made for equipment, travel, sign language interpreters, notetakers, special accommodation needs and other disability-related costs not met by statutory bodies. Applications are considered twice a year and closing dates are 31 May and 31 August.

Unit 18, Oakhurst Business Park, Southwater, West Sussex RH13 9RT

Tel: 01403 732 899



Student Health Association (formerly known as BAHSHE) Student Disability Assistance Fund

Grants of up to £500 are made to full-time (or nearly full-time) higher education students for support needs related to their impairment or medical condition. They expect students to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) before applying to the SDAF. Students who are disabled but not entitled to receive DSAs are more likely to be awarded a grant. Students can apply for assistance in purchasing e.g. educational aids such as specialist computer equipment, extra travel costs and the cost of note-takers or signers.

Contact: Mrs Sandra Furmston, Administrative Secretary, Student Health Association Office, 35 Hazelwood Road, Enfield EN1 1JG

Tel: 020 8482 2412



Trusts that help disabled students (amongst other people)

Lawrence Atwell's Charity

The charity supports those engaged in vocational training or 'first step' qualifications that help people become qualified for work. Applicants must be British citizens or refugees with full residency, and be aged between 16 and 26 years old. Applicants must demonstrate they are from a low-income background (parental income will be taken into consideration if the applicant is a dependant). The charity is particularly interested in applicants who face additional barriers in life, work and training. This includes priority applications from disabled young people, including those with mental health conditions.

Charities Administrator, The Skinners' Company, 8 Dowgate Hill London EC4R 2SP

Tel: 020 7213 0561



The McKenna Charitable Trust

Provides grants to individuals in need in England and Wales with particular emphasis on educational needs and support for disabled people. Buzzacott will forward your written request.

The Trustees, c/o Buzzacott LLP, 130 Wood Street, London EC2V 6DL

The Thomas Wall Trust

Grants are aimed at supporting people who want to break through barriers in their lives and life chances, especially through technical or skill-based training to improve their prospects of finding paid work. The average grant is £1,000. Applicants must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years, prior to the start of their course. The Trust is particularly interested in supporting people who are studying part-time, and those who can show they are investing in their plans for the future. New funding applications can be made for courses starting September 2014 onwards.

PO Box 52781, London EC2P 2UT

Tel: 020 7638 1753